Follow this Blog!!! CLICK HERE!!!!

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Two/Three Year Bachelor"s Degree eh?

After missing the last game of the season, well technicaly I didn't miss it, they're just re-playing here in a bit, I did my usual search of the news. I ran across this on UPI. I think its a thread from the AP but I dunno for sure. Anyway, give it a read and watch for the jump.



U.S. colleges offering three-year degrees

WASHINGTON, May 23 (UPI) -- More U.S. colleges say they're joining Bates in Maine and Ball State in Indiana in offering three-year undergraduate degrees.

Paring the traditional four-year college education by a year would aid focused students who know what they want to study, The Washington Post reported Saturday.

"Today's economic crisis and tight budgets are the best time to innovate and change," said Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., a former U.S. education secretary and past president of the University of Tennessee.

The three-year degree is the common model at the University of Cambridge and Oxford University in England and is being offered in the United States at Bates, Ball and several other colleges.

Hartwick College in New York is cutting a year and more than $40,000 in costs off its undergraduate program, while Lipscomb University in Nashville plans to offer a three-year degree beginning this fall, the Post reported.

A three-year program will be offered at Chatham University in Pittsburgh, while Purdue University's College of Technology in Indiana plans a two-year bachelor's degree aimed at unemployed auto and manufacturing workers.




Well, isn't that something? I wonder if this trend will continue. I for one would hope not. At the moment, I attend a 2 year technical school. There, I can only get an Associate's Degree. There are no options for a Bachelor's. Now, if I personally had the option to go to a University and grab a Bachelor's in 2-3 years, I'd have probably taken it. Another thing, won't this flood the already dismal job market? I keep reading on some sites and in the papers that the unemployment rate is getting better. And technically it is, but at a staggering slow rate! I just don't understand the logic of giving someone a degree that use to take 4 years to get. Becase basically you're just stripping down the information, or perhaps it's viewed as trimming the fat, for the same product. I guess we'll see how this progresses. I have a feeling more schools will jump on board this in the years to come.

s
T
s

No comments:

Post a Comment